Chapel of Ease
This building is only a few years younger than "Old Trinity Church" at Church Creek. This was the first church to be built on Taylors Island and was located at the site now occupied by the Taylors Island Volunteer Fire Company. The creek where it first stood is still called “Chapel Cove”. The Chapel was constructed for the members of Old Trinity Church who lived too far from the Church to conveniently attend services. It ceased to be used as a place of worship after the building of the Grace Episcopal Church in about 1873. Previous to moving to its present location, it served successively as a negro school, blacksmith shop, voting place, community hall, and for farm storage. In 1951, the Chapel was purchased by the Grace Foundation from J. Stapleforte Neild for $800.00 and moved to its present site and restored. The fireplace (not part of the original building) contains more than 5000 bricks from old homes on Taylors Island and from Baltimore. The flooring was restored using wood from old buildings on Taylors Island. The balcony is original and reportedly built of materials salvaged from a ship.