Pictured below are photos of an old log road, a/k/a corduroy road, that appeared in January 2021 on the shoreline of Oyster Cove as a result of erosion. According to John "Pat" Neild, who was born in 1930, "the log road in the picture was typical of earliest roads anywhere in the Taylors or James Islands area. Original mud roads were often improved that way, then covered with oyster shells." One thought is that the pictured road was the old road leading from Taylors Island to James Island. Pat isn't convinced that the road pictured is the old James Island road and believes it was for some other use, as he believes the road was located elsewhere. Pat went on to share more history about James Island: "In the 1940s and 1950s, James Island’s trees were harvested and floated by barge to a landing in Slaughter Creek on Taylors Island. A barge landing was constructed on the North end of James Island where logs were loaded on barges or gathered for floating to Taylors Island. At that time, everyone had left that Island except one family." Pat didn’t know when the road from James to Taylors was lost, but believes it was sometime around the end of the 1800s. James Island was a thriving community in the 1700s until late 1800s" (photos courtesy of local landowner Melville "Patrick" Peters).