Taylors Island has a long proud history of ship building. Slaughter Creek was raided multiple times by the British in the War of 1812 with the goal of destroying or commandeering ships built by islanders. Much of the colonial and early post-colonial ship building histories are lost to the ages. Luckily, James K. Spicer, who was born in 1874 and died in 1957, made a hand written account of his recollections in 1936. He owned the historic Mulberry Grove residence. It is believed that the shipyard was located on Slaughter Creek below where the bridge now stands and likely shut down when the first bridge was built. His account of Spicer Family Shipbuilding was later typed and appears below.